Monday, January 29, 2007

#58

EDIT--I decided not to cross this one off quite yet. In hindsight, it seemed a little premature. When I wake up one day and realise that I'm suddenly not seeing the worst of everything all the time, then I'll feel more confident that I've actually accomplished this one.

This past Saturday I attended--for the first time in my life--a self help class through my insurance company, called "Learned Optimism." Although, in the end I discovered I was pretty disappointed with it overall. The speaker grated on my nerves, and the vibe, in general, was what one would expect from a theatre full of weak-willed depressives, including myself.

But, that said, I did end up getting something out of it--for one, I learned a rather interesting fact about thought processes. When you think a thought, the neuron transmitting it moves in a certain pattern. The more you think the thought, the more established the neuron's pattern becomes. So eventually, like a car on a road full of potholes, your mind ends up gravitating towards the thoughts you think the most, positive or negative.

I am currently trying to start every day with a mantra--"Today will be a wonderful day." At the end of the day, I make myself think of something I did that day that I'm proud of. It's a small start, but it's a start. And since I feel like I'm seeing a tiny, almost imperceptible difference already, I shall mark off #58 as complete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home